This is a place where I will scribble down parts of my life, things I'm worried about, things I'm excited about, or just because I feel like venting.
PLEASE; I encourage you to leave a comment, constructive criticism is also encouraged. Also, leave your opinion in a comment! I'd love to read them.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

My coming out story.

I know I haven't posted in a while, that's becuase I haven't had any ideas for a blog post.. this one dawned upon me and now here it is! I'll most likely to a video blog about this one.

First I came out online, to a few online friends I met on a gay youth support website. Best thing I had ever done. [www.thegyc.com] After about a month of that I decided it was time.

I had known I was gay since I was ten/eleven.. but I neglected the fact. I continued trying to make myself "straight."  When I realised it was a lost cause... I had found TheGYC and initially said I was bi... I was never Bi.. but it sort of felt more of a reassurence that there was hope. After I got a bunch of support from people on there, because I find it's a great place!!! I had the curage and faith in myself to come out.

I need to interrupt this story for a moment, and give a tremondous amount of credit to Brett. I met him online through TheGYC and he gave me the courage, the reassurance, the mentality to be able to come out. He is an amazing person.

So, I finally accepted it for myself, and then I realised I had another big decision to make. To come out.

Believe it or not, the first real life person I came out to was my Mom. What I had finnished talking to Brett, who gave me the courage to come out, I finally made the decision. I wrote a three page letter to my mom. Printed it out, and put it under her pillow while she was sleeping. 

Mind you, this was at like 2 am. This was July 25th, 2007. I went to bed, and awaited the morning.

I woke up, mom was a work, and there was a note under my pillow.

I read it.

I cried.

It was the most beautiful thing.

That was the first time I've actually cried, cried.. I'm not a cryer.

The first month after I came out, it was a bit awkward for me, but not for mom. She was, and is, supportive 100% ! After this big step, I eventually started telling my friends.

The first friend I told was my friend Dillon, and the second friend I told was my über best friend Emily. 

[Emily and I had dated, and she always wondered why I'd never kissed her, or hugged her, or any of that stuff. But she soon found out! And we're even closer friends to this day, I LOVE HER SO FKING MUCH♥]

A month after I told my mom, I told my father.
I can remember the evening.
Every detail.
Mom and I were sitting on the deck, (my parents are divorced) as my dad had dropped off my sibblings.
He walked up to the deck, and I told him I had something to tell him.

After I told him, he had cried.. I believe it was just the initial shock.
Now, everythings goood! My dad is absolutely supportive.

So I guess I was very lucky, as my entire family as the started finding out, they were all supportive. I love them all, and coming out was the hardest thing I ever did. I can't even try to put my feet into the shoes of someone who lives in an un-supporting household. Sometimes I wonder why I was so lucky.

So.. I won't lie to anyone, coming out was the most hardest, gut wrenching, headaching thing I'd ever done.. but it was the best thing I'd had ever done for myself. I was finally free. I was finally free from living two lives.

The end.

LOVE,
KYLE.

5 comments:

  1. That was a very sweet story, Kyle. I'm glad to hear that your folks were so supportive.

    Mine were too in their own way. For my Dad it made a lot of sense that I was political -- that I spoke to High Schools and colleges about my coming about, attended marches, etc. -- but it made no sense at all to him that I wanted to kiss guys and he didn't "ever want to hear about it" (that eventually changed). For my Mom, me kissing guys wasn't that big an issue, but she was scared to death that I'd be shot or something while attending a march and she tried her best to get me to stop with any gay rights/outreach stuff. (Didn't work. :-) ) So they each had their individual reactions. But it's all worked out in the end and for both of them, it's no big deal now. And yeah, the support of my friends were a big part of everything being OK.

    So good story, but one thing I missed was not hearing what was in your Mom's note. Do we get to hear a little bit about that? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I may post a few things on it.

    I'm quite the public speaker too. I do homophobia presentations all the time. I thrive on public speaking. Thanks to you both for taking the time to read! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was very brave of you Kyle... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow you have guts kidd. and you are a good writer. in my opinion. lol

    ReplyDelete